Thursday, June 5, 2008

Stepping Back in Time

I never imagined myself being much of a “Betty Crocker” type. Before coming to Lesotho I was the queen of Pizza Pockets, Canned Soup and Fast Food. Amazing how spending a year in a grass hut in the mountains of Africa can change certain habits. Now I bake my own bread, make tomato sauce, can peaches and tomatoes and COOK! I make amazing vegetable soups, sauces, casseroles, homemade pasta, tortillas, breads, sweets etc all by “scratch”. I have the time to experiment and am really enjoying it. I also have an amazing garden (even still in the winter) that has provided me with a continual supply of fresh vegetables.

Sometimes I feel like I'm connecting with some of my great grandmothers as I do everything by hand (washing clothes, cooking, baking, writing long letters by candlelight, walking long distances to visit or work, plowing a field with cows, harvesting crops by hand, shelling peas and beans for days, hemming clothes and patching holes for hours. In a small sense I can imagine what life was like for the women of my family “back in the day”.

1 comment:

Jess Helsley said...

Pam-

Is that not just how life should be? Simply reading your experience helps me recenter- to focus on the truly important things in life. Thanks so much for sharing this experience with us! You truly are an inspiration and I am expecting lessons and dinner as soon as you get home!